Chicken Salad Sandwich
Posted by: EdibleGarden Admin -
Delicious chicken with celery, almonds and tangy mustard for a light lunch or dinner!
Crunchy celery, almonds and onions combine with chicken in smooth mayonnaise and tangy mustard for an ideal lunch or light dinner sandwich. Avoid the stove, if you like, and use cooked rotisserie chicken, removing the skin and bones of course. Simply purchase a two-pound rotisserie chicken, which will yield about 4 cups of meat.
- 1 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices seeded rye or whole wheat bread
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken, cover and return to a boil. Simmer chicken for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the chicken steep, covered, until no longer pink in the thickest part of the breast, 8 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate and let cool for approximately 20 minutes. (The chicken can be prepared a day ahead of the rest of the salad, if desired.)
- In a medium bowl combine celery, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, almonds, tarragon, lemon juice and pepper and stir to blend. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch cubes, then fold it into the mayonnaise mixture. Arrange 6 slices of bread on a work surface. Divide the chicken salad equally among the bread slices. Top each with a lettuce leaf, slice of tomato and second slice of bread. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
Per Serving:530 calories (220 from fat), 24g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 28g protein