Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
1-1 ½ pounds white cod filets
½ cup olive oil divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
Salt and black pepper
- Lay the cod filets in a shallow pan or baking dish.
- Zest 1 orange and 1 lemon and add zest to the fish.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange and lemon you just zested and add to 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
- Whisk together and pour over the fish. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large oven safe saute pan heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil until hot.
- Carefully shake the excess marinade from the fish, saving it, and drop the fish into the pan.
- Cook over a medium heat for about 4 minutes and then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Season the fish with some salt and black pepper.
- Place the fish into the oven to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- In another smaller pan, melt the butter and add the sugar and remaining leftover marinade from the fish.
- Add the juice of the remaining two oranges to the pan.
- Bring to a boil whisking regularly until the sauce has thickened slightly and reduced.
- Add about 1/4 cup of finely shredded basil leaves to the sauce.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Bring the fish from the oven and pour the thickened sauce over it.
- Add more basil if desired and serve over rice or quinoa.