- 4 beets, roasted and peeled
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 paper thin slice of white onion
- 2 tbsp blue cheese or goat cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp Edible Garden thyme, finely chopped
- tomato slices for garnish
Beet Salad Marinade & Dressing
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp basic vinaigrette mix
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 10-12 ounces filtered water
- Peel and slice beets, then macerate beets and onion in dressing 5-10 minutes (you can do this ahead of time and allow to set in the fridge for a few hours).
- Place salad greens on plate and drizzle with dressing.
- Arrange beets and onion over salad greens.
- Crumble cheese over the top and garnish with thyme and tomato slices.
For the Vinaigrette
- Place all ingredients in a 16 ounce bottle and shake to mix. Allow flavors to marry for at least a few hours before using. This vinagrette stores in the refrigerator longer than it would take for you to use it up, and has been a main staple for my family for at least 30 years. We use it on it’s own as a light dressing as well as in many, many other recipes and marinades.
Tip for Roasting Beets
Roasting beets and storing them with the skin on maintains the most flavor. You can roast beets ahead of time and store in the refrigerator 3-4 days, then assembling a beet salad will be very quick and easy.
Cut stem and root tip off, leave as much skin in tact as possible. Scrub with water and wrap tightly in foil so no steam escapes. Roast at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes