Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
Posted by: EdibleGarden Admin -
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small sweet onion coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 lb. ground turkey 93/7
4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika can use smoked paprika if you prefer
2 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. Pepper
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
28 oz. crushed tomatoes canned
1 cup chicken broth or water
15 oz. sweet whole kernel corn canned, drained
- 15 oz. black beans canned, drained
- Tortilla chips optional
- Cilantro optional
- Sour cream optional
- Cheese optional
- In a large saucepan, or Dutch oven, drizzle olive oil. Add onions and garlic. Saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Push onions to the side and add ground turkey. Continue cooking over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until turkey is almost cooked through. Crumble cooked turkey using a potato masher.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. (You can also use 3 tablespoons of a homemade chili seasoning with additional salt and pepper to taste.) Mix to combine.
- Pour crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and seasoning ingredients into the chili mixture. Mix chili thoroughly and reduce heat to low.
- Cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix in drained corn and black beans. Cover and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Check to see if sweet potatoes are fork-tender before serving. If you would like a slightly thicker chili, mash some of the sweet potatoes to help thicken it up.
- Serve chili over rice with corn chips, cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!